Today we started off the day by going over UP page 4. For the rest of class we went through notes.
- Both male and female have gonads. (organs that produce gametes). Males have testis and Females have ovaries.
Female Reproductive Anatomy
- Ovaries- site of gamete production.
- Follicles-Consists of single developing egg with tissue to nourish it.
- Ovulation- When the egg is ejected from the follicle.
- Corpus Luteum- The remaining follicle tissue after ovulation.
- oviduct (fallopian tube)- Where fertilization takes place.
- Uterus- site of pregnancy. Has muscle to expand to accommodate the fetus.
- Endometrium- Layer of tissue that lines the uterus. Site where embryo implants itself.
- embryo- from zygote to 9 weeks.
- fetus- 9 weeks to birth.
- cervix- neck at bottom of uterus
- vagina-(birth canal) where sperm is deposited.
- urethra- Tube for urine.
- Labia Minora- skin around opening to vagina.
- Labia majora- skin around genetil region.
- Hymen- thin membrane partially covering vagina.
Male Reproductive Anatomy
- Penis- Contains erectile tissue. Shaft that supports glans.
- Testes- male gonads located outer body in scrotum.
- scrtotum- sac that holds testes away from body.
- epididymis- stores sperm
- ejaculation- expulsion of sperm containg fluids from penis.
- Pathway of sperm during Ejaculation.
- Leave epididymis.
- Vas deferen -duct
- seminal vesical and prostate gland.
- Empties into urethra
- semen- 95% fluid from glands and 5% sperm cells.
Gametogenesis- (production of gametes)
- gametes are haploid ccells developed in meiosis.
- oogenesis- developement of eggs with the ovaries.
- At birth each follicle contians 1 dormant primary oocyte. (diploid cell)
- FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) trigger further developement of follicles.
- Follicle enlarges and oocyte completes meiosis
- Secondary oocyte recieves almost all of cytoplasm. Other degenerates.
- IF sperm fuses with secondary oocyte, it will complete meiosis 2.
- spermatogenesis- formation of sperm cells.
- Some cells go under mitosis while the others go through meiosis.
- four spermatids are produced after meiosis 2.
- Spermatids are immature to sperm.
Homework:Pre lab 35-38,
Next scribe : Carey E.