Today we did notes from the organics packet(green packet) pages 5-8.
- When ions dissociate, the positives and negatives must equal zero. ex: 2+'s + 2-'s=0
- Most acids start with hydrogen.
- Solution where concentration of H+ and OH ions are equal
- Substrate is putting together or breaking apart binds to an enzyme that fits. Called an induced fit. This is an action that takes place on site.
- Enzymes are recycled and do not change shape.
- When the substrate is in the enzyme, water is added to break the bond of the substrate.
- Most enzymes' suffix is ase. ex: glucose and fructose.
- Enzymes keep working until there are no more substrates.
- Every enzyme has a different tolerance of Ph.
- Drugs and bacteria can inhibit-slow down-enzymes.
- An inhibitor blocks the substrate from reacting with the enzyme.
- Inhibitors can bind to another part of the enzyme and change the shape of the active site. ex: A water balloon changes its shape when something touches it.
- Good and Bad
- Good: it stores some food for reserve
- Bad: you aren't getting the products you need
- This reaction speeds up or slows down based on you're activity level. Helps control metabolism.
- degradation: substrate is broken down
- synthesis: substrates join to form product