Chapter 18 notes cont...
- Population Ecology- factors that influence a population's size, growth rate, density & structure
- Population- group of individuals of the same species in a given area
- Population Density- # of individuals of a species per unit area/volume
- Sampling techniques- impossible to count ALL individuals; estimate
- Patterns of dispersion: Clumped, Uniform, Random
- Population Growth Models: Exponential Growth (J-curve), Logistic Growth (S-curve)
- 2 limiting factors of population growth: density-dependent, desity-independent
- Survirorship curve- plots # of organisms still alive at each age (3 types)
- Life History: Opportunistic, equilibrial, big bang
- Minamata disease- 1) mercury poisoning pollutes water 2)contaminates fish 3) consumed by animals 4) effects of food poisoning first shown through cats (paralysis, death) 5) people become paralyzed, some children born with paralysis
- DDT used to get rid of insects (esp. farmers)- Rachel Carson's Silent Spring publicizes negative effects, traced in pelican eggs causing them to break when incubating mother sits on them because the shells become thin
- Environmental problems
- UP 37-41 for Tues.
- Termite Lab due Fri 9/10
- Read lab 58
- Oil Spill Paper 9/22
Next Scribe: Kristen M.