Took notes today. Lots o' notes.
HW: 39-43 in UP. Read ch. 1, 13, 14, 15, 17. Quiz tomorrow
Notes pages 1-11 in 7B packet.
LIFE ON ANCIENT EARTH
Earth theories on life development:
1. BIG BANG - great big explosion and condensed forming atoms.
4 conditions necessary for chemical evolution:
1. No free oxygen. So no mammals.
2. Energy - built up by storms, volcanoes, and UV radiation.
Simulated mini big bang. mini bang.
Found monomers which make polymers and amino acids and building blocks and and and RNA and DNA bases!
HOW DID LIFE FORM?!
1. life from non life.
2. life from life
3. Earth's new compounds.
EARTH SOUP = primordial.
Stages of origin of life:
1. Synthesis from abiotic chemicals.
2. linked monomers to make polymers (amino acids)
3. Origin of SELF replicating
4. Formation of pre-cells using monomers and polymers to form precells (no nuclei)
THESE CAME FIRST: Single cell, anaerobic, asexual, heterotrophic.
Cells are building blocks of life, cells come from other cells, all living things contain cells.
How did species evolve? From natural selection! Nature selected the fittest.
Speciation: creating new species. NONBRANCHING vs. BRANCHING
NONBRANCHING turns into different species
BRANCHING creates a new species and keeps the original ancestor as well.
SPECIES create FERTILE offspring!
1. Temporal isolation ---> TIME
2. Habitat isolation ----> some species live in winter, some in fall
3. Behavioral isolation ---> species must understand mating rituals, if not, no game.
4. Mechanical isolation ----> sex organ must work.
5. Gametic isolation ----> sex organs work together, but gametes do not work.
1. Hybrid inuiability---->offspring dies early in life
2. Hybrid sterility ----> offspring lives but is infertile/sterile
allopatric - other country. Some organisms are physically separated making it impossible for them to mate and produce new species
sympatric - together. new species live amongst parent species.
polyploidy - sudden speciation
My name is CJ and thank you for joining us on this week's episode of Honors Biology Period Three: THE BLOG.
Back to you, James (aka next scribe)
STUDY, QUIZ TOMOMO.